The Roches on myspace.com
The Roches on Facebook.com
Scores and Lyrics
Television and Video

Roche Talk Bulletin Board
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
09/02/14 at 13:48:37
News:

Arnold's Turtle Served It Up! (Read 5761 times)
Skatekey
Roche Enthralled

Arnold's Turtle Served It Up!
12/12/08 at 10:04:58

Chatting with my friend Debby who lived in NYC's west village, I discovered the probable origin of the Roche's fondness for Strawberry Apricot Pie since they were customers of a restaurant she worked in.  In the late seventies, Debby was a juicer and then a waitress at the well-loved health food restaurant Arnold's Turtle on or near Bank Street.  She says they always had it on the menu.  Ever since she first heard The Troubles, she has wondered about the lyrics and the reference to s-a pie.  The Turtle sounds like a place New York could use these days: an everyday, true neighborhood joint.  Just the kind of place that makes you homesick even before you go off to Ireland....

Does anyone remember it?  In the eighties the Turtle moved to Spring Street but is long since gone.

IP Logged
the Maestro
Roche Captivated

Re: Arnold's Turtle Served It Up!
Reply #1 - 12/12/08 at 18:15:15

A boffo piece of Rocheology there, Skatekey. Keep up the good work!...

IP Logged
Stephen Kurtzman
Roche Talk Administrator

Reply #2 - 12/13/08 at 01:56:08

Skatekey deserves a gold star on that deduction. I asked Terre if that was true and this was her reply:

----

Yes, indeed,  the strawberry apricot pie in The Troubles is a reference to that very one at Arnold's Turtle.  Furthermore, I am impressed that the friend Debby worked there.  I considered applying for a job there one time and the guy told me he was looking for "someone who could jump behind the counter and conjure up the most amazing salad you've ever tasted on the spot!"  The image was so intimidating to me that I decided I was in over my head, and didn't apply.    By the way,  it was right down the street from Ye Waverly Inn,  which was where I did  get a job working for Mr. Sellack.  

Wish you could have tasted the pie!  Maybe his friend Debby has the recipe?

Piece,
Terre

------

So, now Skatekey has a mission. Find the recipe!

peace,
stephen

Email WWW   IP Logged
Skatekey
Roche Enthralled

Reply #3 - 12/14/08 at 20:00:33

Stephen,  
Thanks for sussing it out. I was so tickled with your response, and not being one to shy from a challenge, I went back to the source.  My pal, Debby, responded with the following message for Terre which I'd love for you to pass on.  Still no hard, original recipe unfortunately, but perhaps one day it will surface.  No recipe, no piece!

Skatekey

P.S. Since leaving the healthfood/table-waiting trade, Debby has become a master knitter.  www.debbyware.com

+++++++++++
Hello Terre!
I remember well you and your sisters coming in for lunch at The Turtle. Once you all made glowing comments about a sweater I had on that I had just knit myself.  The crew at The Turtle all worked together and we played together and were very good friends - about 15 of us - it was certainly a great place to work but only when the owners Ingrid and Arthur stayed out of our way! It was on that wonderful corner of Bank Street and West 4th and was very much part of that great neighborhood.
As for the Strawberry/Apricot pie - was it REALLY that good? The crust was wholewheat and on the very hard and dry side! Me? I remember the Tofu Garlic salad dressing which I still make for my family. Anyone want THAT recipe?
Best,
Debby

IP Logged
bluebird
Roche Curious

I love the Roches!

Reply #4 - 01/15/09 at 19:27:51

Hi! Regarding Arnolds Turtle, My favorite restaurant ever, can I get the recipe for the salad dressing? I have been longing for that dressing since the original restaurant closed. Thanks so much.

IP Logged
Skatekey
Roche Enthralled

Reply #5 - 01/16/09 at 23:45:01

I noted your post and went back to Deb, but she's a little hard to pin down on measurements...here's her response:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I use to make this by the gallon in a huge Hobart in the kitchen of The
Turtle. I'm afraid you will have to figure out the measurements for
smaller versions by trial and error:
Blend Tofu until it looks like mashed potatoes. Add Vinegar (Apple
Cider? White Wine?), Tamari, olive oil, fresh basil and lots of fresh
garlic chopped very very fine.
Stir it around and enjoy.
Do you remember the Tahini Garlic Dressing?
Combine 1 part Tahini to 1 part water. Add lots of lemon juice, fresh
garlic chopped fine and salt.

Hope these both work and bring lots of good memories back.
Debbie

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

It would be fun to have a clearer picture of this Slice of Strawberry-Apricot heaven.  Nothing around Manhattan these days seems to resemble it.  Anyone got old pics or new recs to conjure the Turtle's resting soul??
Skatekey

IP Logged
Stephen Kurtzman
Roche Talk Administrator

Reply #6 - 02/11/09 at 21:40:47

For those wondering about Arnold's Turle, doreesky has served up a review with selected menu items. To see the review, click here: http://www.roches.com/images/Turtle.gif

peace,
stephen

Email WWW   IP Logged

What is RSS?

Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge